By Roanne Houck
There are many natural and effective ways to increase your body’s production of anti-inflammatory agents, while decreasing systemic inflammation. The foundation of good health should start with a nutrient-dense diet. Foods that are especially high in naturally occurring anti-inflammatory ingredients, and other good nutrients, are those with bright or rich colors and those with essential fatty acids, especially those that contain the omega 3 oils.
Colored Fruits and Vegetables
Red cherries, raspberries, strawberries
Purple grapes and cabbage
Orange carrots, oranges and sweet potatoes
Green spinach, kale and chard
Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids
Ground flax (or flaxseed oil)
Chia and hemp seeds (and oils)
Organic egg yolks
Dark leafy greens
• Cooked whole oats with ground flax, blueberries, chopped nuts and coconut or almond milk.
• Medium poached eggs on sprouted grain bread with flaxseed oil and/or almond butter. Added slices of avocado, red onion and/or spinach for added nutrients.
• Sandwich on whole grain or sprouted grain bread with a protein of choice (hummus, black bean spread, turkey, chicken or ham), red onions, green spinach and grated carrot. Along with flaxseed chips dipped in bright red salsa.
• Chef salad with a mix of greens, red onion, orange carrot, red radishes, chopped purple cabbage and topped with toasted green pumpkin seeds and walnuts, blue cheese crumbles, hardboiled egg or Pacific salmon and dressed with lemon juice and an olive/flax oil mix.
• Colored vegetables of choice — raw, lightly sautéed or steamed
• Quality protein — beans, organic chicken, Alaskan fish, nuts, seeds, organic eggs
• Good fats — avocado, fish; oils from flax, coconut or olive; nuts, seeds, game meat
• Whole grains — sprouted grain bread, brown or wild grain rice, quinoa, millet
Roanne Rouse Houck, N.D., is a licensed naturopathic doctor in Gunnison, Colo., where she lives with her husband, Jonathan, and their two children, Iris and Porter. She owns an integrated wellness clinic and yoga studio and is also the founder and owner of Acli-Mate® Natural Sport Drinks, designed for the health conscious athlete and mountain visitor. She can be reached at email@example.com or at the Main Street Clinic, 970-641-5363.